Nissan 300zx This coupe and convertible was very popular with performance car enthusiasts around the world, whether in the base model,or the high end Twin Turbo model.

Whats wrong with my stick

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 01:02 AM
Default Whats wrong with my stick

Today i noticed that my shift stick was a vertical play on it now. And its hard to place in gear. What i mean by vertical play is that my stick shift moves verticly ( up and dpwn) now. What could it be? I will start dismantaling the center councel tomorow. A friend requsted that it could be a bushing that hold the shifter in place may hay broken or loosen.

If you have ever hade a similler prob. please reply. I own a 1996 300zx.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:23 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Whats wrong with my stick

i dont have a 300, but it very well could be a bad shifter bushing, or some other problem with the shifter assembly. honestly, this would be cheaper than an internal problem..

Old 06-26-2005, 04:57 PM

thank you patrick. yeah i opened ny center councel and found a nut loose that was holding the ****er in place. The irony is that i went to dinner that same night and found my self pushing my car. My clutch is out now. Any relation? I am shopping for a proformance clutch at a reasonable price. Ant ideas or sudgestions. Lucky the last owner took care of this car well enoght that i have all his recipts of work he did. I found that he replaced the clutch 9-13-2003 actually he rebuilt the tranyat this date.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Administrator

i would check with clutchmasters or ACT or fidenza

Old 07-25-2005, 01:42 AM

i have a 94 300zx and the shifter plate directly under the center console has a tendincyto crack, usually caused by the installation of a short throw shifter and the diver not realizing how much the throw is reduced and slamming it too hard. In my case it broke all the way through while i was racing it for the first time with the new shifter. When this happens it moves up and down. the car will still drive but it only cost me 45 dollars and about 2 and half hours of work. simply remove the radio face and begin taking all the screws out until the console peice holding the shifter boot the side suade panals may fallout but i'm not sure i did a long time ago, any how, it easier if you remove the armrest wile your working cause if it not crack yet you will leaning on during the installation. remove the center conlsole by taking out three screws in the armrest and diconnecting all wires(power mirrors, cigarette lighter, etc. and then removing the shifter **** and shifter boot. You 'll see the shifter plate and the rubber bushing that the shifter "floats" on remove the four screws on the outside and then the one nut holding the shifter(note: hold the shifter casue it will drop right on your cats and you don't want that beside you may loose the screw or damage the linkage arm) set it lightly on the cats and pull the plate off and replace and just back track your steps. and you should be all good in the hood!