Nissan Altima This mid sized entry is been among the leaders in its class thanks to its powerful engine and roomy interior.

2002 Altima 2.5 S Overheating/ AC hot air

Old 06-01-2006, 01:08 AM
Default 2002 Altima 2.5 S Overheating/ AC hot air

My '02 Altima has been coming very close to overheating. It will go up to the mark just before the H on the temp gauge and then the air will start blowing out hot. I took it to the dealer last December because the Check engine light came on. I had noticed before that the heater would not blow out cool air to defrost the windshield. It is pretty hard to see through a fogged up windshild, and cold air does not seem to help in the winter! Now the check engine light just came on again. I had the thermostat changed and the radiator cap replaced as the Nissan dealer recommended in Dec. I had the work done at Midas because it was 150 dollars cheaper! I took the car back to the dealer today and he said the same overheat code is coming on. I told him I had the thermostat and the radiator cap replaced as recommended in Dec. The radiator cap is an aftermarket part. I imagine the thermostat probably is too. The radiator is full with antifreeze. I checked the fans on the radiator, and both seem to be working.

The car has 60k miles on it, but the engine was replaced in the car at around 36k miles by the previous owner.

Does any one have any ideas what might be the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 06-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Default RE: 2002 Altima 2.5 S Overheating/ AC hot air

You might have a mechanic check the connections from the radiator to the engine block. Also, check your overflow jug, make sure it isn't cracked. The radiator or water pump might need replaced too.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:23 AM
Default RE: 2002 Altima 2.5 S Overheating/ AC hot air

altima radiator is usually mounted in front of the engine and right behind of the grille...
---> upon regulating the engine temperature, the cooloant flows through the engine to absorb the heat...once already hot, it will move to the receiving tank in order to disperse the heat on the aluminum body of your altima radiator.. they are sometimes susceptible to damages.. my friend had done with his nissan 280 ZX radiator replacements a year ago...