Nissan Altima This mid sized entry is been among the leaders in its class thanks to its powerful engine and roomy interior.

98 Nissan Altima Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Default 98 Nissan Altima Timing Chain

I have a 1998 Nissan Altima automatic with the KA24DE engine. It has 101,000 miles and has been absolutely perfect. My daughter was driving it back to Nashville where she lives and the engine died and she coasted to the side of I-40. The egine would turn over but would not start. I had the car towed to the Nashville Nissan Dealership. They inspected the car and said the distributor was the problem. When they installed a new distributor the engine would not start. They removed the valve cover and inspected the timing chains and said this was the problem and the engine was no good anymore due to possible valve stem damage and so on. I towed the car back to my home in Oak Ridge, Tn from Nashville this weekend.

I removed the valve cover that the dealership had partially re-installed. The upper timing chain is in place and looks good. I reached under the upper timing chain and felt the main or lower timing chain and I could feel the timing chain on the sprocket. I had my daughter turn the engine over and neither timing chain moved nor did the camshafts or valves. It appears the damage is in the lower or main timing chain.

My question is this, is the engine repairable if it is the lower timing chain? I would really like to keep this engine as it runs great and has no leaks or any other problems that we know of. Thanks for any input and advice.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 12-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 98 Nissan Altima Timing Chain

It may be worth it to replace the chain, tensioner, guides ect..... but if It broke more than likely you will see valve damage.... which isn't worth messing with. Cheaper to buy another beater.