Nissan Altima This mid sized entry is been among the leaders in its class thanks to its powerful engine and roomy interior.

timing chain guides

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Default timing chain guides

I have a 1998 Altima SE with 70,000 miles. For the past few weeks have noticed a "ringing" sound from the engine. Sometimes it's more pronounced, sometimes not noticible at all. Brought the car to a Nissan dealer yesterday. They believe it's the timing chain guides that may have broke (even though there is a timing chain that doesnt need replacement like a timing belt does, the guides are made of plastic, and according to the dealer, they can break off, dropping pieces of plastic into the oil pan, and causing a noticible noise from the chain. Since I had the oil changed yesterda, and it was a Saturday (a short day for the service dept), they told me when I bring it in for the next oil change in 3 m onths or so, to have the guides replaced. However, this is a major job. Oil pan has to be dropped, alternator removed, valve cover removed;etc. Cost...about $125 for the guides, and $595 labor....ouch!!! Does this seem to be what the problem is? Does the cost seem about right? More importantly, can I wait 3 months like the dealer said to get it repaired, or will waiting 3 months cause more problems? Please advise if anyone has had the same experience. Thank you all!!!

Old 07-31-2005, 02:02 AM
Default RE: timing chain guides

well i dont know if u would want 3 months of plastic in ur oil pan, this in turn would mean it could circulate through your engine? the labor seems about right, taking the alternator and the valves off is some project, about 2 hours, if you dont hit any speed bumps, mainly **** breaking, hope it works out for you

Old 08-30-2005, 02:19 AM
Default RE: timing chain guides

yeah man anytime cars with timing chains...they cost a lot thats why i have to learned on my own.....so im not surprised...the chains arent the one that goes bad...is more like the chain guides......the guides are made of plastics....good luck...if you do your own tune up, my suggestions is read up on it first, do some reasearch, TAKE YOUR TIME, triple check everything....