Nissan Altima This mid sized entry is been among the leaders in its class thanks to its powerful engine and roomy interior.

Timing, Ignition Distributor not lining up -Altima 1997

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Default Timing, Ignition Distributor not lining up -Altima 1997

After 6mos. I finally got my timing on my 1997 Altima close enough to run but I have a problem with my distributor and can't fiqure it out. Please help.
Here is what I did- I set the crack pulley to TDC and with an opened cam cover I check the cams for TDC then I set the distributor to fire on #1. Basically everything lines up TDC but the car will not start unless I turn the distributor about 20% clockwise -then the car runs great. The only problem is I can't bolt the distributor down due to the odd position.

Logic told me to simply adjust the rotor in the distributor to compensate but here is where I need help. Basically any way I turn the rotor to compensate I still need to turn the distributor beyond the bolt down bolts to get the car to start.

Anybody have a clue on how I can get everything to line up or let me know if this is may be a different problem.
Thanks Keith

ps. it's a new ignition distributor.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:19 PM
Default RE: Timing, Ignition Distributor not lining up -Altima 1997

I have the same 97 altima. Did your distributors o-ring go out? Is that why you replaced the distributor? The distributor can only go one way, so you can't put it in wrong and it should line up with the bolts. Your timing must be off still. I'm guessing you adjusted the timing on #4 cylinder to TDC instead of the #1 cylinder. I dont know.. hope someone can help you on this one.