Nissan Frontier This mid sized truck offers the advantages of the full sized Titan with its large bed and great off roading ability, but with a smaller, more efficient engine.

Clink,Clank on first shift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Default RE: Clink,Clank on first shift?

I just bought a 2006 Frontier SE 4x4. I am experiencing the same problem either just before or just after the first shift. This happens only after I start up the truck. Does not happen again until I shut the truck off and start it up again. Just mentioned it to the dealer and hope to hear something within the next day or two. By the number of hits this problems has received, there may be many more people out there that have this problem, but have not reported it. I really like the truck but can not get enthusiatic until there is a resolution or documented statement of the actual problem!

Old 01-09-2007, 01:27 PM

I have been away from this site for awhile, but to those concerned with the "clank", as I was, just check page 5-29 of your owner's manual. It is the ABS doing a self check of the system. My dealer was unaware of this when I took my Frontier in for the "problem".

Old 01-19-2007, 11:05 PM

Ok, I have the 95 Nismo 4X4 just under 20k miles. My little 'clank' is now a solid 'CLUNK' especially when shifting from reverse to drive. I sounds like it's coming from the transfer case but actually feels like it's in the rear end. I have very little faith and even less time to deal with dealer service departments so I'm wondering if anyone else has this magnitude of problem.

Doug

Old 02-14-2007, 01:33 AM

Alright, now we're getting somewhere. I brought my 2005, not 95, Nismo 4x4 in for an evaluation. Initially the service guy couldn't reproduce the clunking sound when shifting the from park to rev to drive and back to park. On try number two, I brought the truck back in, this time I demonstrated with success! The initial thought was as I first said, drive line from the tranny back. Got a call yesterday afternoon, not the drive line but the transmission itself! I didn't get a reason other than it has only occured at this dealership with one other vehicle since the model change. It must be something because Nissan is replacing, not fixing, but putting in a NEW transmission and sending the original in for evaluation.

I do have to say, a lot of people seem to have had problems with Nissan service. Normally I'm not a big fan of any companies service department, because in my unreasonable way I feel I should never need them to begin with and that mass production is flawless---NOT. In this case however, Nissan has been nothing but accomodating and hopefully after the trans is replaced will not need to see my vehicle again. Anyway, thats an update.