Nissan Frontier This mid sized truck offers the advantages of the full sized Titan with its large bed and great off roading ability, but with a smaller, more efficient engine.

Questions regarding Frontier trucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 04:07 AM
Default Questions regarding Frontier trucks

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a Nissan Frontier and I've been looking at a few 2001 Nissan Frontiers 2WD 4 cylinder extended cabs. Other than test driving the vehicles and checking for leaks/strange noises I'm not sure what to look for. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, just new to Nissans. Is there anything specific that I should look for? Do these trucks have any weak points? Anything that goes bad often? How long do these KA24DE motors last if properly maintained? How often does the timing chain/water pump need to be replaced?

Any insight or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

S.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:46 AM
Default RE: Questions regarding Frontier trucks

Not sure if this will help.
I have a 98 Nissan Frontier, 123K, oil change every 3 months, 10 tires,2 light bulbs for the tail light, 1 head light ( some kid hit it with a rock). Spark plugs every year ( look for sparkplugs on e-bay they are cheap). BOSCH spark plugs wires ( lifetime warranty ) you can chage them as many times you want.
For some reason my Oxygene sensor went off twice in one year. Brake Pads DURALAST ( lifetime warranty). When I bought this truck I knew i was going to keep this truck for a long time. My son on his way to Univ. and another on hold. That is why I have so many parts with a life time warranty.
Other than that..... NO REGRETS

That it. Good Luck

Old 10-13-2006, 12:15 AM

Another Nissan newbie- I had my 2001 Fronty for a month, just like the one you're lookin at and I like it. It has 72k and the cel came on. It's the cat converter, which I bought online cheap. Everything else is good. Nissans and Toyotas last a long time... got tons of old ones running around in Hawaii, and now I got mine.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:59 PM

I am not a Nissan newbie. Have owned 4 Nissans 1990 1994 1997 2001. I have had one consistent problem due to hauling too much in the back. I think I finally found a solution. Use Royal Purple for the diff and tranny. I have tried Valvoline, Castrol, and Redline. All sent a tranny to an earlygrave. Now using Royal Purple after my last tranny replacement. You need a GL 4 lube for the trans. Not easy to find. Also I find the crankshaft position sensor should be pointed out to any mechanic about to replace a clutch on a1998 or newer tranny. It is at the top of the trans and cannot be removed easily. it breaks the plastic connect if not unclipped. Great Trucks I get over 24 mpg and carry a lot of weight.