Nissan Maxima The flagship luxury sedan from Nissan, combining performance with all of the modern touches you woudl expect in a luxury car.

AC compressor oil - Anyone try polymax2 or Interdynamics arctic freeze??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Question AC compressor oil - Anyone try polymax2 or Interdynamics arctic freeze??

This looks like a pretty new forum...so I'm not sure what kind of response this will get...but it's worth a shot.

I'm changing the Hi and Lo pressure hoses on a 2001 Maxima. Also changing the Drier/Filter. Evap, Condensor and Compressor are fine.

1. How much oil will typically remain in the compressor? I'm pretty sure new compressors are NON sump type so how much oil remains after all the freon is gone since a good amount of oil is in suspension with the freon? Should I add 2oz? 4oz? Obviously too much or too little oil is BAD!

2. Oil should be PAG46 from what I've read (on aftermarket oil mfrs chart).
Interdynamics shows to use Ester oil tho on a system that's been opened for repairs??? Tried to contact them a few times but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

3. Anyone try Polymax2 compressor oil? Its supposed to replace Ester, PAG and Mineral oils and be compatible with all. Non-hygroscopic either and synthetic oil film protection so it should reduce friction in compressor parts.
Then again....anyone that's tried it would know these things. SOooooo anyone try it....and how did it work?

4. Also...anyone try the interdynamics arctic freeze freon with synthetic lubricant? If so...how is it working out? AC any colder than before?

Is this "NASA engineered" lubricant meant to REPLACE compressor oil....or just coat internal parts and oil still needs to be added?????? As I said...Interdynamics isn't getting back to me. As I read the can it seems the lubricant might be INSTEAD of standard compressor oil but I want to be sure. I'm wondering if the "mystery NASA developed lubricant" isn't just the polymax2 maybe in this can with the R134???" -- -

Thanks
Dave