Nissan Maxima The flagship luxury sedan from Nissan, combining performance with all of the modern touches you woudl expect in a luxury car.

knock sensor removal in 15 minutes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Default knock sensor removal in 15 minutes!

All you need is a long extension, A universal joint_ i used a 3/8' drive.A torque wrench.A socket wrench And eitheran 11 or12 mm socket. The knock sensor is below the intake manifold... Looking toward the motor on theright, theres a cubby hole under the intake manifold. In about10 inches youll see it. Remove air cleaner from car. once you see the sensor youll know what to move out of the way, not much. Theres enough clearanceside to side to loosen the bolt. Just make sure when the bolts almost free that the bolt is still in the sensor when you remove them. Use the extension as a supportfor the sensor and wire to keep them level as you carefully pull them out. Same thing in reverse. Put the extension under the wire(sensor end) and guide it above the bolt hole in intake manifold.Now the fun part, Whith one hand keeping the bolt lined up.. the extension should still have the socket on it , remove the extension from under the wire andget the sensor bolt started Youll use a twirling motion with you fingers on the xtension to spin the bolt in... once its hand tight put the torque wrench on. factory spec is 15 to 20 ft pounds. theuniversal joint, i had a problem with It.( torque wrench).the knuckle would bind up etc.. It was suggested to me to use two universals . next time i will.the estimate for this job at a garage -knock sensor and 1 o2 sensor $639.00 I got the knock sensor on ebay for 61 dollars. It took me only 15 minutesto complete.(BUT) i got lucky, it went smoothly. Anyway Good luck and i hope you save some money too!