Nissan Maxima The flagship luxury sedan from Nissan, combining performance with all of the modern touches you woudl expect in a luxury car.

MAF sensor?TBS?Catalytic converter?O2? Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Default MAF sensor?TBS?Catalytic converter?O2? Which one?

I drive a 2000 nissan maxima with 150,000 miles on it. I've had to change 3 ignition coils (those were the only ones not working) when i got a misfire code. After that it still ran pretty sluggish and hesitant however it has gotten to the point were its undealable now. If i try adn let it run from a cold start it will die on me in about 30 secounds or so. When accelerating i almost have to have the throttle in an exact position to get anything yetr if i push down on the throttle all the way when driving my RPM's don't change at all. It feels as if the car is already maxed out and it can't/won't go any faster speed wise or acceleration. When i let go it'll surge up briefly then try and die on me again. Often times i have the acceleration of a semi!! My SES light is one and the codes that are showing are P0135 and p0153 ( i belive those are it) saying bank 1 and 2 rear and front O2 sensor slow response. i can understand them not working but slow response. is the solution the same for a broken O2 sensor, that of buying and installing a new one? Every once in a while it'll throw in a cat monitor problem also. Looking around and researching tho im getting a lil confused. Seems theres multiple things that can cause this problem from the MAF sensor, to the TBS to the Catalytic converter, to the O2 sensors. I'd rather have a better idea of what to replace and focus on before i got around buying parts and spending any more time in the 100 degree weather under the hood of a car. I hope this wasn't overly detailed or confusing. ANY help is appreciated.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Default RE: MAF sensor?TBS?Catalytic converter?O2? Which one?

I've got a '99 and had the same problem with positioning the throttle just so, to get anywhere and then when I did stepon the gas, the car wouldn't respond. New spark plugs helped to solve the problem. You should find out how old your plugs are. Sounds like they've never been changed. Only useplugs recommended by the manufacturer. Mine areplatinum tipped. Expensive but easy to install as they come pre-gapped! I think they'regood for up to 90,000 kms or so.I also cleaned the MAF sensor(inside the air intake duct) with carb cleaner as it can get pretty cruddy. After I did this, I would still get and uneven idle at the lights. A brand new air filter every year makes all the difference. No more idle problems and great response. I did end up changing the knock sensor too but only as a routine maintenance thing. It was the new plugs that did it. Oh yeah! Get those O2 sensors changed out too (ebay). They arent the cause of your problem but will give you poor gas mileage.They cant loopexhaust info back to the computerfor correct fuel mixture adjustment. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

well check your tps sensor with a volt meter on the signal wire with the ign on enginne off and go from 0% throttle to 100% throttle and see if it fluxuates i believe you should see 12v+ when at 100% throttle Wide open. if thats all goo then your tps is good, then check your maf sesnsor and see if its dirty if it is use maf sensor cleaner and clean it and see if that helps. the cat. conv. problem the only way to see if its bad is by taking it off and looking inside for melted platinum "honey comb" or clogged. also you said that it misfires still after replacing all the coils, pull your spark plugs and check the gap and condition cause its probably time for new plugs. well let us know.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:52 AM

I apprieciate the help. I Finally figured out what was wrong iwth my car. I Maf sensor was bad. Got a new one for $109 and it runns perfect now.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:13 AM

Where can you get a MAF sensor for $109?