Nissan Maxima The flagship luxury sedan from Nissan, combining performance with all of the modern touches you woudl expect in a luxury car.

Maxima with major issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Pam
Default Maxima with major issues

My 2000 Maxima jerks back and fourth and backfires. When I step on the gas, the car almost dies, and then it will accelerate (but not always). I felt like it was sucking air or the exhaust was not exiting the car or the timing was off. I took the car in to a mechanic. He changed two sensors, and one was in the intake manifold. This didn't help. We fixed the catalitic converter. This also didn't help. We change the fuel pump. This did nothing. The mechanic thought maybe it was the mass air flow sensor, but now he thinks it maybe the timing or one of the teeth are missing on the timing chain. The mechanic is now trying to get to the front of the engine to check on this. This is becoming a money pit. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 11-28-2005, 06:50 AM
Default RE: Maxima with major issues

ORIGINAL: Pam

My 2000 Maxima jerks back and fourth and backfires. When I step on the gas, the car almost dies, and then it will accelerate (but not always). I felt like it was sucking air or the exhaust was not exiting the car or the timing was off. I took the car in to a mechanic. He changed two sensors, and one was in the intake manifold. This didn't help. We fixed the catalitic converter. This also didn't help. We change the fuel pump. This did nothing. The mechanic thought maybe it was the mass air flow sensor, but now he thinks it maybe the timing or one of the teeth are missing on the timing chain. The mechanic is now trying to get to the front of the engine to check on this. This is becoming a money pit. Does anyone have any suggestions?
1. Change shop, youre being robbed. CAT will never cause backfire... This robbery is even more nasty if the mechanic is pleasant and really tries to help.
2. First run diagnostics or see that smbdy does. How its done, seek via 'Favorite Links' at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/1
3. Even Nissan stealer$ship repair and/or troubleshoot trials will become cheaper.
4. This millenium cars are designed [filled with computers] to rob u after 5 yrs. as the sensor tech starts to fail 4.b. = Buy new,
4.c. = buy one car from 80's
4.d. ...my -93 maxima has one O2 oxygen exhaust sensor. Yours has 4. Why? Just to milk you 4x....

The acute problem: When does it occur? Mileage?

First change plugs, compare their condition what is shown in www.ngk.com troubleshoot chart.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:13 AM

You said he thought it was a Mass air flow sensor, did he replace it?
these are a know problem with the 2000 maximas, so much so, that nissan reduced the price of these sensors to less than half of what other MAF sensors cost.

Old 01-02-2006, 02:33 AM

My maxima was having the same problem. Every time i would put my foot in the gas, it would stutter like it was trying to die. When i backed out of it, it would start to pick up. Come to find out, it WAS the Mass Air Flow sensor that had gone out. They told me a lot of the 2000 max's had the same problem.