Nissan Quest This minivan offers an economical solution to those who want the size of an SUV, but with greater economy.

2006 Quest tire/wheel options

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Default 2006 Quest tire/wheel options

Hello,
I'm anew owner of a 2006 Nissan Quest. I thought I got a great deal on a van thatONLY needed tires. I purchased it today and the previous owner wasn't forthcoming about the expense of new tires and I never imagined this being a real topic of concern. I'm a little bugged out by the different information I'm reading all over the web about the pax systems in the Quest.

How do I know if I have the Pax system? My tires are Goodyear and not Michelin. They are the odd sized 265/65/16 tires. Every other vehicle I've ever owned cost me about $300-$400 for four new tires (not $400-700 each) including mounting and balancing and now I'm hearing all of these insane comments of ludicrous prices to replace the Quest tires. I'm not trying to run the Indy 500.

I hope I'm way off base here. I figured, what's the big deal, so I take off run flat tires (if that is even what I have) and put on your average aftermarket rims with new tires. Then I read that you can't do it because removing the pax system will trigger the ABS system lights to come on and stop the ABS from working properly. Is this a bunch of BS?

I am hoping that someone is going to say...ahhh just replace the wheels with an aftermarket set and pull the bulb on the pax problem light (if there is one). I don't want to mess up my ABS though. Is there an aftermarket product that can "spoof" a good tire pressure reading so that regular wheels and tires can be installed? If such a product doesn't exist, I think there's a huge market for it.

I'll resell this thing before I spend $1500 on new tires. I love the van otherwise and I'dprefer to keep it.

Please help?
bald tires

Old 01-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Default RE: 2006 Quest tire/wheel options

which model do you have? i think that the run flats were only available on the higher end models, also a simple check is to see if you have a spare tire, from what i have heard about the run flats, the car usually does not have a spare tire included since they are "run flats", don't know for certain if this will tell you definitly or not, but hope it is start.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:37 PM

I don't believe that I have run flats because mine are not Michelin tires currently. I have the base model 3.5L. I have 36k miles and most run flats are supposedly trashed in 15k-20k miles. Maybe that is a blessing in disguise (having a base model) after hearing the nightmare PAX stories. It looks like I may not have the PAX system afterall but I do have the pressure monitoring. I have goodyear tires andI can definitely see that they are TPMS valve stems. Can these TPMS valve stems be moved to any old aftermarket rim or are there only certain kinds of rims able to accept these new valve stems? I have to check to see if I have a spare tire.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:46 PM

I still think there is alot of money to be made on a small aftermarket device that you can put your stock tpms monitors on and pressurize to 35psi so that it spoofs the computer into believing everything is cool. It could zip tie some place else out of the way. That way we can all put aftermarket wheels on without worrying about computer codes and warning lights. I call dibs on the idea...you can send me my royalty checks biweekly...lol.