Nissan Sentra The Sentra has grown to be one of the most popular cars ni the sport compact market with its powerful 4 cylinder engine and spacious interior.

87 Nissan Sentra Stall out every mile

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Default 87 Nissan Sentra Stall out every mile

Just bought this 87 Sentra (carburated) from a friend where it had been sitting for two to three years. A few fixes to get it on the road. Ran fine the first week and then trouble. First start up in the morning or last one in the eve, hot or cold, drive down the road for approx. one mile, flutter and pop followed by total stall out (if left in gear) and a faint smell of gas. At that point, coast over and sit. Now the car will idle with no problem, its just not able to endure any load so usually I shut it down. So after 3 to 5 minutes, I turn the key it starts back up and I'am good for another mile maybe a mile and a half.
So I Changed the.......
-Plugs,
-Cap,
-Rotor,
-Fuel filter
-Air Filter
-Inspected distributor optical sensor for oil contamination and found none
-Inspected all vaccuum hoses for cracks and found none
-Added water absorber and fuel system cleaner to tank
-Fresh tank of gas
-Sprayed down the carb inside and out with carb cleaner

All this with no change in behavior. An observation made right after a stalling spell found the fuel filter nearly empty. (about one fifth full) In contrast an Old timer told me the bowl in the carb is filling with gas quicker than it can dump it and stalls the motor until it drains. Is it to much gas or not enought? This occurs regular like clockwork and makes my commute rather interesting especially on the return trip at 3am.
Anyone with a bright idea or two or even a good guess would be appreciated.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Default RE: 87 Nissan Sentra Stall out every mile

have a buddy sit in the car and have him press the accelerator and watch for any change in amount of fuel comming into the carb. also find out if the car is equipped with and electric in tank pump, it could be going faulty or getting clogged. best thing is to get a haynes manual and do the trouble shooting section in the manual. good luck!

-jarrett

Old 08-21-2006, 05:25 PM

if its a carberated sentra then jus sell it. Carberators are known if going bad after a while especailly if the car is 19 years old. Or you can also try turning it into a fuel injected system such as Electronic fuel injection. Im studyin to be a mechanic and trust me, carberated cars are the worst.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:55 AM

I need to know the location of the fuel filter in a 87 sentra that carb'd. Not exactly sure where it is. My car is running rough at start up but once i get going the gas doesn't seem to be flowing well. I checked to see if the pump was working and its working fine.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Gilbo

Just bought this 87 Sentra (carburated) from a friend where it had been sitting for two to three years. A few fixes to get it on the road. Ran fine the first week and then trouble. First start up in the morning or last one in the eve, hot or cold, drive down the road for approx. one mile, flutter and pop followed by total stall out (if left in gear) and a faint smell of gas. At that point, coast over and sit. Now the car will idle with no problem, its just not able to endure any load so usually I shut it down. So after 3 to 5 minutes, I turn the key it starts back up and I'am good for another mile maybe a mile and a half.
So I Changed the.......
-Plugs,
-Cap,
-Rotor,
-Fuel filter
-Air Filter
-Inspected distributor optical sensor for oil contamination and found none
-Inspected all vaccuum hoses for cracks and found none
-Added water absorber and fuel system cleaner to tank
-Fresh tank of gas
-Sprayed down the carb inside and out with carb cleaner

All this with no change in behavior. An observation made right after a stalling spell found the fuel filter nearly empty. (about one fifth full) In contrast an Old timer told me the bowl in the carb is filling with gas quicker than it can dump it and stalls the motor until it drains. Is it to much gas or not enought? This occurs regular like clockwork and makes my commute rather interesting especially on the return trip at 3am.
Anyone with a bright idea or two or even a good guess would be appreciated.
I'd check the MAF mass airflow sensor too, its gotta be something with the air/fuel mixing since the smell of gas is a sign of it running rich