Nissan Sentra The Sentra has grown to be one of the most popular cars ni the sport compact market with its powerful 4 cylinder engine and spacious interior.

97 sentra no spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:29 AM
Default 97 sentra no spark

I recently replaced a blown motor in my daughter-in-law's 97 sentra gxe. It is a '99 1.6 that I put in, using the starter, alt., and distributor from the old engine. The old engine was running fine and then one day it came apart at 75 mph and threw #1 rod through the side of the block. I located a clean '99 1.6 w/ only 80,000 milesfor it and put it in. I now have a problem however, the new motor will not start...there is no spark. I have checked the timing chain, it is fine. I checked the positioning of the distributor, it seems fine. I have checked my engine grounds, they are tight. I put all new tune-up parts on...plugs, wires, cap, rotor. I have checked about everything I know to check and still the car has no spark! If anyone has any suggestions for me it would be greatly appreciated. I had a similar problem with my son's honda EF civic a few months ago but after tightening the main engine ground the problem was remedied. This one doesn't seem so simple...so I could use some help. I'm an old soul so if this was a small block chevy I could manage, but this one has got me buffaloed. Could it be possible that the coil went bad between swaps? I have all of the engine harness connections in their proper places and are plugged in tight. I don't know what else to look for, so somebody please help. Oh, I also checked the main distributor plug on top and I have battery power going to the coil, but it's the only contact that lights up when the switch is turned on and you are trying to start the car. Should there be more than one hot wire when in starting mode? I ask because I don't know. Any help in this regard would be very much appreciated!

Old 03-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Default RE: 97 sentra no spark

I would check your crank position sensor. It is possible you broke it when putting the new engine and transmittion together. Check the computer for codes. Check the coil, cam position sensor both are in the distributor. I would bet its something broken or not pluged in right.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Default RE: 97 sentra no spark

Thanks for the info...I accidentally had the coil power plug and the crank position sensor plug reversed...man do I feel stupid! Switched them around and she started on the first crank! Runs like a scalded dog! Thanks again for your help.