Nissan Sentra The Sentra has grown to be one of the most popular cars ni the sport compact market with its powerful 4 cylinder engine and spacious interior.

air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Default air conditioning

I have a 2005 Sentra. When I turn off the air conditioning, sometimes it seems to keep working...It stays quite cold (even today, when it' 90 degrees). Does that happen to anyone else? Thank you.

Old 07-19-2005, 07:49 PM
Default RE: air conditioning

YES!
I also have a 2005 Nissan. (Altima 2.5) And I have the exact same thing going on.
Went to the dealer, and they told me ALL Nissan '05 and newer AC run like this.. but they didn't say why.
So I e-mailed Nissanusa.com (last week) and they responded (friday or Mon.) with and e-mail asking for more detailed information.
Sent my response to them earlier today.
I will be happy to share whatever info they send me just as soon as I receive it.
Will try and attach a portion of my e-mail to the in just a moment.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Default RE: more on air conditioning

This was the question they asked me;
Q.) A brief description of what you are requesting from Nissan North America, Inc. in order for us to offer a possible resolution in the matter.
(my answer)
My question is, "Why does the Air Conditioner stay activated, even after I press the button and the little orange light goes out?"
The compressor remains engaged and air conditioned cold air continues to come from the dash and floor vents, regardless of the status of the "recirculate" button. (IE. orange light on or off)
With the A/C button light off, but the recirculate button light on, I would expect the cabin to get gradually warmer, but it does not. I continue to get the cold A/C air.
So far, once I turn on the A/C, (little orange light "on") the A/C remains engaged, whether I deactivate the little orange light or not.
There have been times when I have turned the car off while the little orange light is "on", and when I return to the car hours later, and start the car, naturally, the little orange light comes "on". I immediately press it to turn it off, but the A/C compressor having been activated when the car was started, is now engaged, and will not disengage, unless I turn the vehicle off.
I can not find any detailed information about this in the manual.
I went to the Dealership, and a very helpful service technician, (he may be a Manager) informed me, (and my Salesman) that ALL the '05 and newer Nissan A/C systems do that. Another man there suggested it may have something to do with humidity, or sensors that determine interior and exterior humidity levels.
While this sounds reasonable, I would like to know from you (Nissan Manufacturer) that:
#1.] The A/C {on '05's and newer} is in fact suppose to operate that way...?
#2.] And if so, please explain in reasonable detail.
and #3.] Is there ANYWAY to go from A/C to Vent {with fan} without turning the vehicle off?

Does this sound like what you are experiencing?
Well, when they send me a reply, I will share it with you.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:31 PM

Yes, that is exactly what is happening!! I have to take my car in for service in about 2 weeks, and I'll bring it up to them then, but I'd be very interested in hearing what Nissan tells you. Thank you very much!

Old 07-20-2005, 02:02 PM

Happy to help.
Happy to get help, too.
I would like to know what your dealership tells you, also.
I've posted a poll under Altima, and indicated for folks to check out you thread here.
Really want to know what the purpose is for this FORCED air conditioning.
(the cynic within me thinks it may just be a way to wear compressors out faster,
thereby insuring future AC repairs and compressor sales.)