Nissan Sentra The Sentra has grown to be one of the most popular cars ni the sport compact market with its powerful 4 cylinder engine and spacious interior.

Engine runs, but car won't go! Help! lol

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 04:07 AM
Default Engine runs, but car won't go! Help! lol

The other day I was driving it and all of a sudden it starts losing acceleration and slowly starts losing speed until it comes to a stand still but the engine keeps running fine, so I pull it over just as it loses all acceleration. So now it runs, but when I shift into "Drive", it won't grab the wheels at all, it revs up and the engine runs but it won't budge or even make a jolt when I switch gears. Please if someone has any ideas as to what went wrong, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm contemplating junking it if the problem is too serious. Thank you for reading this and have a nice day.

Phil, 1995 Nissan Owner

Old 10-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Default RE: Engine runs, but car won't go! Help! lol

At the risk of sounding obvious, its the transmission. I would check the transmission fluid level first. Most people never check it. If it gets to low it won't go! If that's ok it is prob major like the torque converter.
How many miles are on this baby? If under 200K consider getting a used transmission from the salvage yard before junkng the whole car.

Good Luck!

Old 11-06-2006, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Engine runs, but car won't go! Help! lol

Where are you located, if your close ill buy it

the clutches inside maybe slipping. My 1996 mirage has a problem something like that.