Nissan Sentra The Sentra has grown to be one of the most popular cars ni the sport compact market with its powerful 4 cylinder engine and spacious interior.

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Default oil leak

I have a 96 nissan sentra I need a good mechanic to anwser a question for me on 02/06 I had my cars engine block rebuilt and on 08/06 I spoted an oil leak on the right side of the car I took the car to a mechanic and it told me it was the cramshaft that need to be sealed with silicon had it done but it started leaking again and when I took it back he told me it was the cramshaft oil sealer put it new but the car still leaking small drops of oil please help can't think of anything else and the wierd part about it is that I check the oil and it marks full. Check power steering full two.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Default RE: oil leak

i have a 97 that had the same problem. are yu talking about the crankshaft oil seal?im unfamiliar with the cramshaft, i thought only fords have them, he he he . anyway, improper installation of the crankshaft oil seal can cuase it to leak again. i think overtightening of the belts can damage the seal. if the lower pully sealing surface where it goes into the seal is messed up it can cause a leak.its not that hard to tear down and fix properly if you have a book, i belive there is step by step instructions in mine for replaceing the seal.or you might try a different mechanic that is familiar with the nissan engines.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:42 AM

The cranshaft underneath the car was sealed with sicilone and is not leaking the leaking is on the rightside of the passanger side I had the cranshaft oil seal put in new and it didn't leak the next day it started leaking when the engine get to full temperature
and what it does is it leaks like 8 drops in a row makes alittle puddle and when I get under the car you can see the oil running from the rightside of the engine I wanted to know if there are more than one pulley with a seal for oil don't have any clue where it can be leaking the odd thing is that when I check the oil it marks full but yet I see the small puddle of oil on floor. Someone told that it could be the seal in the cover where the timing belt is but I don't see any oil leak running from there it seems that it's coming from a pulley I have the car manual book but it didn't explain much about oil leaks. Any suggestion you have I'm welcome to them.

Thanks

Old 09-18-2006, 11:44 PM

ok, another place to check is the timeing chain tensioner. it is high on the block on the passenger side of the motor. it is a oval shaped cast plate with 2 bolts in it. it is very hard to get at and just about as hard to see.you will have to take right wheel off and get underneath and get a light up in there.the tensioner is pressurized by a small hole connected to the oil galleys. i had to make a new gasket for mine and also seal the bolt holes with a aluminum rubber coated crush washer under each bolt head.to get at it i had to remove the power steer pump and it seems like the thermostat houseing if memory serves me.the only way i found the leak was with a ultraviolet leak detection kit i got from jc whitney.take a look in that area and see if you find anything and let us know.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:56 AM

I want to thank you for your last advice I did what you told me I took the car to a mechanic that knew what he was doing and I told him the problem I was having with the car and I also told him what you adviced me and he told me you were correct the leak was were you said it was and the problem was corrected no more leaks. Thank you .
jdydvd