Nissan Sentra The Sentra has grown to be one of the most popular cars ni the sport compact market with its powerful 4 cylinder engine and spacious interior.

Possible Problem With Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Default Possible Problem With Tranny

hey guys, newbie here and im not sure whats going on with my tranny. i never really get on the internet but a friend of mine directed me to this forum for help
i have a 2004 nissan sentra se-r spec v.....i believe the engine is a qr25de or something and it has a six speed...well anyways to get to the point..i was driving down the interstate and i came to a stop light....when i went to take off it went into gear but not 1st...it went into3rd and as i got up enough rpms to upshift it went to 4th...but no further...i noticed when i took off , the shifter itself was really floppy....but 3rd and 4th is all i have......i can try to shift into any gear including reverse and 3rd and 4th is it....i thought that maybe it could be a linkage but if that was the case my shifter wouldnt be all floppy would it?......how many linkages should i have under the hood? someone told me the slave cylinder... but im looking more towards the nylon bushing in the shifter itself...any ideas? the transmission sounds great...no grinding...tight clutch...car only has 29,000 miles on it but i have already voided my warrantee...it seems to be just the shifter but i dont know anything about cars other than driving them and i dont want to get screwed over at a shop...any help would be appreciated....thank you guys

derrick

Old 05-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Possible Problem With Tranny

Sound like you broke one of the shift linkage cables.... there is two.... but the only way to buy them is to get both. You were shifting hard before you got to that stoplight i'm guessing.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Default RE: Possible Problem With Tranny

sorry been out of town on business ....actually i was shifting hard if i recall....but all i see under the hood is two linkages...the top linkage moves back locks, nuetral, and forward and locks....the bottom linkages moves back and forth but does not lock.....should i be able to put the car in gear without pushing in the clutch? why would my shifter be all floppy and loose? i figured if that cable broke it just wouldnt go into gear....why would the shifter be all loose.....no winding, whining, or grinding....so i dont think it is anything internal.....