Street 'n' Strip This is the secton for all of your track and street racing stories!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 03:24 AM
Default RE: 16.3

Well my wife won't let me take everything out like I want....If it was me I would drive a totally gutted car everyday but I'm a dumb@ss gear head so what do I now. I have stripped the trunk lining and spare perminently, carbon fiber trunk lid and hood, said good bye to a/c, no air box, I run aluminum wheels, and shaved alot of unneeded crap like hood latch (pins are lighter), hood prop, sun visors, lisence plate holder, ect. Also have lightend up the exaust alot from what it was stock. This is all the everyday wieght reductions, on race day/night, the passy and back seat go, the subs and amp go (big reduction for me!) door panles and some times even the hood in the fall. Once I even took the seat brakets out but that was a mistake! I am a big guy so I try to compensate on the car. With me in the car I can weigh 175 less then bone stock. If I had more money and a more understanding wife I think I could reduce about another 100-150lb. from the car. You are right that it dosn't give you great time improvement but all the little stuff does add up, esspecialy if going against a close match up. Also I don't have boost or NOS so everything helps. And as always, the driver is the number one factor. Hell, I could beat a z350 if the driver is a moron. My friend had a 14 sec s-10 but only if his uncle drove it. He couldn't get lower than 16.5, thats a huge differance! Experiace and ability are a drivers best mods so to say.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:44 AM

Doing all that work on a 15+ second machine is nuts. A dog is a dog is a dog.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

If you are going to worry about weight in a street driven car, worry about unsprung weight. Taking 10lbs off of your wheels is like taking 100lbs out of your car.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

+1 lighter wheels