General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Nissan Altima HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Default 97 Nissan Altima HELP!

Hello,

I have a 97 Nissan Altima. Yesterday, I stopped to get my mail and turned the engine off. When I went to start it, the battery was fine because the lights, dingers, radio etc worked, but nothing when I cranked the key (almost like what happens when the clutch is not in and you try to start it). I have had cars in the past that when the starter went bad, you heard a clicking sound which on this we are not hearing. The battery cable was a little corroded, so we cleaned that off, but still nothing. I replaced the alternator last summer. If you have any ideas for me on what this could be please reply as I am on a fixed income and am very worried that this is going to be a big problem. I do not live on a busline and this car is my only mode of transportation. It will start when we push start it and then it runs fine until you turn it off and then we can't start it again. It has 80,000 and the only repairs I have had to make are brakes and the alternator and a new battery two years ago.

Please help me!
:-)
Gina
wyndchaiser@yahoo.com

Old 07-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Default RE: 97 Nissan Altima HELP!

check your starter. change your oil. my saturn did this, but it was an auto so i couldnt push start it. it turned out its motor had seized. you dont want that. my pistons had fused to the cylinder wall. bad...