General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

STRANGE...Engine cutting out problem!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Default STRANGE...Engine cutting out problem!

97 Nissan Pickup, 4 cyl, strange problem.

In the mornings, engine starts fine, runs fine, UNTIL about 1 to 1 1/2 miles down the road and then the engine starts cutting out.
The engine cuts out for about 100 to 200 yards, then quits. Doesn't do it again for the remainder of the day.

Changed fuel filter this weekend, but no help.

The 'Service Engine Soon' light never comes on, either. Not sure where to go next? Pressure regulator, fuel pump?

Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
michael

Old 04-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: STRANGE...Engine cutting out problem!

well if it was the fuel pump it would do it for the rest of the day to me it sound like a intermittent electrical problem possibly. does it do it only when you dont warm up the truck before driving or it does it do it regardless of it being warmed up or not. cause i never ran into anything like this in the field before. can you give me more info. like mileage and spark plug condition, injectors condition if there gumed up or dirty, is there a mouse nesting in your airfilter box, smoke out of the exhaust, does it do it over rough roads like potholes, anything that could cause this to do this let me know of the conditions your in and temp. of eng. etc. and ill try to help you out a bit more..

Old 05-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Default RE: STRANGE...Engine cutting out problem!

try checking the air intake sensor, sounds like the sensor may not be closing the vacum motor, both systems are located in the air cleaner, during warm up the air sensor uses a vacum to close the vacum motor so that warm air from your manifold helps in the worm up stage after the motor has reached worm up the air sensor opens the door on the vacum motor and allowes fresh air to circulate. the only other thing i can think of is that most 4 cyl. engines have a egr valve that along with a anti back firing and on some a vvt valve, which with the newer vehicle help to promote a cleaner emissions, some time a vacum leak well occure and may cause the symtums you have, any way check your manual it'll give you an idea as to where to start looking. good luck.