General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Strange ignition problem..HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Default Strange ignition problem..HELP

Hi guys,

I've got a 98 Frontier regular cab with a strange problem here. After I installed an alarm system with ignition kill I got from Crutchfield there was no problem for a while, but all of a sudden after getting a steak and cheese sub with everything on it, got into my car and the damn thing wouldn't start. The starter would spin. At first I thought it was the battery since I bought the truck used but I kept turning the ignition on and off a few times and finally the starter motor started turning. After that, it gradually started getting worse. Now every time I try to start the engine it does the same thing and I have to turn the ignition on/off on/off several times to get it started. Also another weird thing is (I'm not sure what it's called) that the beeping when I turn the ignition to ON is not beeping loud and clearly anymore. I hear a very faint beep and unless I turn the headlights on, it doesn't beep loudly. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Strange ignition problem..HELP

I would check for a parasitic drain.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Default RE: Strange ignition problem..HELP

Thank you for the suggestion Burnnout. It's actually not the battery. The battery holds a good charge and when the starter engages, it's still strong. The starting part is fine, it's just a pain in the *** to try to get the electricity into the starter motor. I was thinking there could be a short somewhere, maybe a relay. Or maybe the ignition switch itself might be bad but that beeping noise is what gets me cause I have to turn the emergency or headlights on in order to make it beep normally. Another thing is I have to let the beeping finish in order to try starting the engine.