General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Vanette wont start cold, problem known - advice please

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Default Vanette wont start cold, problem known - advice please

Good Evening

Many thanks for the forum and help in advance - I fullyappreciate the time people have put into this resource.

My father has a 2000 model Nissan Vanette with a 2.3Ldseries engine (non turbo). To cut a VERY long story short, the fuel solenoidsticks when the engine is cold.

Please can someone tell me how to rectify this problem? -This particular model Solenoid doesn’t appear to be able to remove - It is"cube" shape, "Black" and has 3 wires going to it. On theend of the solenoid it has what appears to be two holes for bolts - but oncloser inspection these appear to be factory rivets - in other words part ofthe pump!

A friend has suggested that if i put a wire direct from thebattery to the Solenoid via a switch, this may give it a little bit more juice(bypassing the potentially high resistance contacts of the relay) - I can seethis logic - but I’m not sure why I have 3 wires on the Solenoid?? - Any adviceon this?

Below - I have given a long winded overview of the problemswe faced before finding the fault in order to contribute to the forum and forfuture people searching for similar problems (Im not expecting everyone to readthis!
Many Thanks
Tom

Initially, Once in a blue moon the van wouldn't start - youcould crank the engine for 5mins and it still wouldn’t go. This progressivelygot worse - until it was noticed that It only happened on very cold mornings(below freezing). The big problem was it was intermittent, and even intermittenton cold mornings - and also, once it started it would them ALWAYS Start.

After 2 different mechanics looked at it 9without findinganything) we tried all the obvious.

1. Glow plugs out, tested on a battery to see if they weregetting hot - they were.

2. Checked the resistance on the buss bar - and checked itwas coming on for 15sec ish - it was

3. Checked fuel to the injectors!!! - it was (because it wasintermittent Grrrrrr).

4. Checked for air locks, replaced fuel return pipes inhope.

5. Ran a heavy cable direct from the battery to the Glowplugs to eliminate any volt drop.

The only way to get the van running was to position a mainspowered blower heater under the bonnet pointing towards the engine compartment- after about 20mins it would start...........

Then, I accidently noticed one day that sometimes the fuel solenoiddidn’t click! - on further investigation i realised that when the van was cold,the fuel solenoid never clicked - on recycling the ignition key 10-20 times youwould hear the click, then it would start first turn. Wheyyyy! - If the engineruns for 20mins it is then fine all day - until the following morning.

Currently - every morning we have to position the blowerheater onto the fuel solenoid - this takes less than 2 mins to be effective andthen the van is fine for the day.

Long winded I know - but hopefully something in this threadwill help future people with similar probs.

Regards
Tom