Nissan Pathfinder This mid-sized SUV has been at the head of its class since its early years thanks to its abilities both on the road, and off.

Pathfinder R51 timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 01:46 AM
Default Pathfinder R51 timing chain

Hi,

I have a Nissan Pathfinder with YD25 engine and we stripped the engine few days ago. It had a terrible rattling noise at startup and I just wanted a piece of mind that everything is ok with the timing chain.
98K km on the clock and it seemed really odd that I get this noise.
After stripping the engine what we have seen was shocking. The timing chain stretched a lot and almost all gears worn off. All gears, tensioners and guides are genuine Nissan and I just don't quite understand how this could look that bad. Does anyone else has had similar problems with their Pathfinder R51?
As far as I know these YD25 engines have been fitted in Navara D40 models.
These timing gears and sprockets look like made of chocolate.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:45 AM

Although no one has replied I thought I'll send an update. After I opened this topic I was reading a lot and I found a lot information. There are not many Pathfinder forums but as this R51 shares the same YD25ddti engine as Navara D40 I looked into Nissan Navara forums. Others say they had snapped timing chains in a short time and the top timing chain tensioner often fails. Faulty chain tensioner allows the chain to slap the top chain guide which can also break off. Well... mine luckily didn't break but the timing chain looks stretched as hell. Furthermore Nissan put a bicycle chain for the lower timing chain and they are prone to snap.

Here they offer a duplex timing chain upgrade to convert the old D40 lower timing chain:
https://shop.zedperformance.co.uk/ni...ming-chain-kit

Within this timing chain kit they include duplex chain conversion sprocket which doubles the lifespan of the chain.
Our chain has been stretched and the gears looked really bad. We wanted to make sure that everything lasts long so we went with the timing chain kit above.
I hoped I get some comments on this but my topic may help others in the future.