Nissan Maxima The flagship luxury sedan from Nissan, combining performance with all of the modern touches you woudl expect in a luxury car.

Valve Seal Replacement

Old 12-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Default Valve Seal Replacement

I need some expert advice... My 1999 SE is smoking a little.... OK..It's smokes like a $3 ***** at a Naval Shipyard!
It smokes a little bit on startup, and quite a bit on throttle... I have talked to a few mechanics and I am hearing that it may be my valve seals. If anyone has an idea on how much it would run me to have them replaced...for a fair price?

Thanks,

Old 12-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Default RE: Valve Seal Replacement

...SE is smoking a little.... ...
Glogged PCV can cause excessive blue smoke. Cleanit first, or replace 5$. Easy DIY.

Anythin may break 'anytime', but Nissan stem seals wear typically happens only after 300kmiles, 15yrs. How much you have to add oil per 1000miles?

Old 12-22-2005, 11:36 PM

Fair enough...

It's more of a whitish-grey smoke. Do you think that the PCV would do it?
It's not showing any codes though...

I have 88.6K on it so far... So far I have replaced the Plugs (with NGK Iridium), Ignition Coils (Mitsubishi type), Stillen (Short Ram Intake) and Stillen Exhaust...

It sounds great! But I am so pissed that I have to keep it under 3.5K rpm to keep it from smoking... at 4K rpm, it Growls!

Thanks,

Old 12-23-2005, 01:29 PM

"...whitish-grey smoke."

Typically white means steam. How is u coolant level? If u have to add water, then this points to a broken seal =coolant leak into the engine. (If this is the case, seek immediate replacement before engine heads warp.)

When u replaced the plugs, were they all looking good? If u still have them, compare to www.ngk.com trouble -chart.

Anyways, after PCV swap, I'd do a compression tst to pinpoint possible piston oil ring brkup ( plugs would show this also). Next go to a good known shop for diagnosis; a good mech can also listen&hear this condition. After diag, ask diff places for quotation.... Allowed discrepancy between cylinders is about 20%. (Gauge is '5$.')

Seek more info via clicking 'Favorite Links' http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/1

Old 12-23-2005, 10:06 PM

My coolant was just replaced about 2 months ago. It's definitely burning oil. I look at the smoke and see Whitish-grey...but the mechanic I talked to said it may be the valve seals.

The plugs shecked out fine.

I will try the PCV first and go from there...

Thanks,

Old 12-31-2005, 11:52 PM

Ok...New life has been breayjed into my Maxima! A new PCV valve has solved the problems (for now...)

But get this Crap...This evening, I was heading home from Wal-mart... and a stupid-*** Cop pulls me over for my stereo..
According to him, the distance whould be no more than 100 ft for being able to hear a car stereo! BS....right? What's the point of having 4000Watts of power and not crank it as I cruise!

Then, the ******* decides to check my tint too! I guess the 20% that I have is not legal! who'd a thought! I guess that 32% is the limit here in GA.

I am sure as hell going to court to fight this! I am hoping that he does't show at court so maybe I can get it dropped...

anyways...My evening pretty much sucked!

But at least my Maxima is running right again!

Old 01-01-2006, 01:57 AM

4000Watts!! you're askin for it

what size subs you runnin?

Old 01-01-2006, 02:33 AM

I have 2 JBL 15's... I used to be able to use my trunk until I got them... lol